Sewer Emergencies

Report a Sewer Emergency
If you have a sewer related emergency, broken pipes, leaky sewer main, have a clogged side sewer, or notice wastewater seeping from a manhole, depending on who your sewer service provider is, please contact their Water/Sewer Maintenance Departments. If you are not sure who to call, take a quick look at your recent sewer/water billing for the provider name. After 3:30 p.m. or on weekends, if the emergency cannot wait until the next business day, please call your appropriate law enforcement agency.

Fairfield County Utilities 614.322-5201 1.740.652.7900
Pickerington Utilities 614.833.2294 614.575.6911
Canal Winchester Utilities 614.834.5100 740.652.7900
Reynoldsburg Utilities 614-322-4500 614-866-6622




Property owners are responsible for the operation and maintenance of their side sewers as they run from the residence to the sewer main. A permit is most likely required for any repair, replacement, or installation of side sewers. For information on obtaining permits, please contact your respective agency listed above.

Disposal of Fats, Oils, and Grease
The disposal of fats, oils, and grease (FOG) into sanitary sewer lines is a major contributor to the clogging of the sanitary sewer system. Most FOG does not mix well with water and floats on top of the water clinging to the top of the sewer lines. Then when subsequent FOG flows down a line it will eventually clog. Even a small amount of FOG in drains can cause a serious and expensive plumbing blockage and may cause an overflow in your home or our community. In addition to the damage FOG may cause to the sanitary sewer lines, it is a primary source of sewer odors, both inside a building and from a sewer line in the street.

Fats, oils, and grease should not be disposed of in a sink, including those outfitted with a garbage disposal, or a lavatory. FOG should be disposed of properly by placing it into a container and throwing it out in the garbage container for pickup.

Septic Tanks
Septic Tanks are under the regulation of Public Health Departments. If you have questions regarding septic systems, please contact:

Fairfield County Health Department 740.653.4489
Franklin County Health Department 614.525-3160